-
August 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I went to JoAnn Fabrics today to check out the material that Melissa mentioned (the Granny's Feedsack line) and thought that some of the prints would make really cute dresses for Kit! I have absolutely zero sewing experience but would like to work on learning it to make some doll clothes this fall or winter, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good patterns for making 30s style dresses for Kit with this fabric? (I'm not going to start off with something like that, this is just so I can start getting some materials and patterns together)
-
August 21st, 2003, 06:17 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Kari, Vogue pattern have two that they specifically call 1930's wardrobes that fit 18" dolls (#7514 and #7486). Although they are more expensive, JoAnn Fabrics often has them for 75% off. I also found some cute 30's style patterns at old doll patterns.com. The patterns at this site that fit AG are the 18" Chubby Dolls, including Saucy Walker and Chatty Cathy.
Good luck with your sewing! [img]smile.gif[/img] Let us know how it goes....
<font color="#020176"><font size="1">[ August 21, 2003 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font></font>
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ August 21, 2003 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font>
-
August 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks Jeanette! I will check JoAnns next time for those. Sounds perfect!
The patterns at olddollpatterns.com are also nice, I like the pictures of the old dolls and the clothes they are wearing. Too cute! [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
August 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
#4
HB Forum Owner
Now here's the funny thing--I recommended the fabric but I haven't even seen it yet. [img]wink.gif[/img] (I saw it advertised in the flyer, but couldn't find it online and didn't see it in the store.) Are they small prints? What types of colors and styles did they have? Which was your favorite?
Unfortunately, I find American Girls challenging to sew for. My Twinns and My Twinn Babies are more my size since I don't need to be quite as careful with everything. But I have found Morrissey Dolls has really easy instructions for me (I was a beginner when I started using their patterns).
I've never sewn the "multi dress" pattern before, but it reminds me of Kit's kind of clothing (top of site):
http://www.morrisseydolls.com/agdrs.html
Best of all, it's supposed to be an easy pattern to use. The only thing I wish they would do differently would be to label the years that dresses would "work" for, the way some other pattern sites do.
I haven't sewn anything for Kit yet and I'm interested in this material line, so please let us know how what you sew turns out! [img]smile.gif[/img]
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ August 21, 2003 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
-
August 22nd, 2003, 05:05 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I found this page with some dress ideas for Kit and all the other AGs. http://www.dolliesdressmaker.com/indexamgrl.asp There are some nice fabric and color ideas. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
August 22nd, 2003, 05:36 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Yes, NurseSarah, that is one of my favorite sites to visit! Several of us here on the board have referred to it often. [img]smile.gif[/img] I recently purchased her Molly dress pattern, but have not sewn it up yet, even though I have picked out a nice Christmas plaid to use. When I do get it made, I'll be sure to share pics. [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
August 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Yes, do share them! I would love to see what you come up with. [img]redface.gif[/img] Sorry, I didn't realize the link had been posted before, I haven't been around here very long yet [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
August 22nd, 2003, 03:03 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Patterns will be on sale at Joann's starting this Sunday, August 24th, through Saturday Sept. 6th--Vogue patterns will be $3.60, McCalls & Simplicity patterns will be $1.60.
If you go there Labor Day weekend, the Simplicity patterns are 6 for $6.00. This is one of their big sales...notions are 50% off. Thread is on sale, also. If you're thinking about starting to sew...now is the time!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks